The Scenic Hills Christian Academy mission is to provide a Christian education in a safe and spiritual atmosphere that promotes academic excellence and personal growth, by equipping each student spiritually, academically, physically, and socially to fulfill God’s purpose for their lives.
- We believe in the education of the whole person: mind, body, and spirit.
- We welcome students regardless of religion, race, color, nationality, or ethnic origin.
- We encourage active service to others.
- We believe that close ties between students and teachers are a very important part of education. The school population is small enough to allow a low student-teach ratio.
- We spend time every day with the students in studying the Word of God and in prayer. Our pastor is available to help students with their spiritual and emotional needs.
- To foster a loving, Christian atmosphere for the total development of each child.
- To prepare children to know Jesus as their Friend and to prepare them for eternal life.
- To encourage children to explore their potential, find joy in their abilities, develop positive attitudes about themselves, and become aware of the world around them.
- To provide opportunities for developing the ability to get along with other people.
- To provide teaching that will set the stage for positive learning opportunities and academic excellence.
- Our teachers are practicing Christians.
- Our teachers are certified by the Department of Education of the North American Division of Seventh-day Adventists.
- Our teachers care about children and look for the best in each child.
- Our teachers challenge the students to grow in academic and spiritual learning.
- Our teachers lead the students in a cooperative learning style that fosters teamwork and mutual respect.
- Scenic Hills SDA Christian School is accredited by the North American Division of Seventh-day Adventists and by the Texas Private School Accreditation Commission.
- The curriculum consists of the courses determined by the Education Departments of the North American Division, the Southwestern Union, and Texas Conference of Seventh-day Adventists.
- The school uses the Iowa Test of Basic Skills (ITBS). This is a nationally normed test that is given in the fall. The results are shared with the parents as soon as they are received and charted. The scores do not affect the students’ grades but do become a part of their permanent record. Some students are also given the Cognitive Aptitude Test (COGAT) during the same week as the ITBS. This test indicates the student’s natural abilities and compares them to his/her achievement scores.
- Our school puts a strong emphasis not only on academics, but on spirituality as well. All classrooms begin the day with worship and prayer. Every Friday, all students come together for chapel, which includes songs of praise and a short message. One week per year is also designated as the student’s Week of Prayer, during which a chapel service will be held each morning.
Scenic Hills encourages computer literacy by having computer stations installed in each classroom, starting with Pre-Kindergarten.